Don’t let the holiday chaos derail your health goals. You don’t want to have to start over trying to lose pounds in January come New Years Resolution time. Get in and get out with our 15 minute workout series this month. (See past posts: Holiday Hustle: 15 Minute Total Body Workouts.)
Kettlebells are used for more then just doorstops here at Elite Sport & Fitness. Researchers found that people who did 20-minute kettlebell workouts torched almost 300 calories—and that’s just for starters. Factor in the muscle-sculpting impact (the calories burned after you exercise as your body repairs its muscle fibers) and your total expenditure could increase by up to 50 percent.
Kettlebells also make traditional dumbbell moves more challenging. The weight of a kettlebell isn’t evenly distributed, so your stabilizer muscles have to work harder. That’s why the following kettlebell workout is the perfect 15 minute scorcher for a quick gym day.
15 Minute Kettlebell Workout
Starting with the first move, complete each exercise back-to-back without resting. Rest for one to two minutes, then repeat for a total of two or three circuits. Aim to use a kettlebell that is a challenging weight.
- Hold a Kettlebell in both hands with palms facing toward you and feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart. Allow your arms to hang straight down in front of your body so the Kettlebell is hanging between your legs.
- Lower into a squat and swing the Kettlebell upwards, standing simultaneously.
- At the top of the swing, release the Kettlebell from your grip, flipping it over in your hands. Allow the kettlebell to complete one full revolution before catching it in a standing position.
- Holding the base of the kettlebell, perform a full squat while holding the kettlebell in front of your chest.
- Push back to standing and return the kettlebell to the starting position.
Lateral Lunge and Pass
Sets/Reps: 3×20 (10 per side)
- Stand with feet hip-width apart and hold a Kettlebell in left hand, arms extended at sides.
- Lunge laterally with your right leg as you pass the Kettlebell under right thigh to right hand.
- Step back to starting position and repeat, this time lunging with left leg (and passing weight to left hand) to complete one rep.
Sets/Reps: 3×10 (per side)
- Hold the Kettlebell in your right hand at shoulder height, elbow close to your body, feet hip-width apart, and knees slightly bent.
- Keeping your core tight and back flat, straighten your legs and press the weight overhead until your arm is straight.
- Pause, then slowly lower back to start. That’s one rep. Do 10, then switch sides and repeat.
Side Plank Row
Sets/Reps: 3×10 per side
- Get into a pushup position with your right hand grasping the Kettlebell’s handle and your feet slightly more than hip-width apart.
- Row the Kettlebell to the side of your chest while rotating into a side plank, supporting yourself with your left arm.
- Reverse to return to start. That’s one rep. Do 10, then repeat on the other side.